Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Fell In Love With A Spoon!


We just got in some awesome, polished, un-glazed, white bone china spoons by Caroline Swift and I must say, I'm in love.


The spoons are presented in hand-made felt bags, tied with a gift tag that is embossed with the designer's name "Caroline Swift."

I am not a tea party person by any means, but when we got these in, I wanted to put on a fancy dress and gloves, invite all my girlfriends (and Stephen Jones & Christian Lacroix) and have a good old-fashioned tea party. These are great for stirring tea, serving clotted cream or just sitin' pretty on the table.

photo credit: Annie Leibovitz, Untitled (A Mad Tea-party)

And yes, they are food safe. Ryan let me know that they are fully vitrified. You don't know what that means? I didn't either, but apparently it means they were fired to a really high temperature and therefore resist water, ect. You can eat from them and they are really durable, too.




Check out Caroline's site
here to learn more about her design philosophy and see more of her wares.

-Alissa-

P.S. Thank you Joy for the lovely post!!

3 comments:

  1. Those spoons are adorable! I, too, am not really a tea party type of person, but I keep seeing items that make me want to invite the girls over for cucumber sandwiches!
    www.domesticattempts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, but decorative. just fyi, they will stain:\

    ReplyDelete
  3. the spoons have been fired to a very high temperature and are fully resisitant to water and are as strong as glass. i have carried out stain tests by placing the spoons in tomato ketchup for hours. as long as the spoons are washed afer use (as is expected for all bone china) then they will not stain. if persistant stains do appear they can be cleaned using bicarbonate of soda or a small amount of cream of tartar on a damp cloth.

    ReplyDelete