Saturday, January 10, 2009

Broken Blanket :-(





The other day Alissa and I were re-arranging furniture in our living room when I accidentally placed one of our marble tables on top of my down comforter. Unaware of this fact, I later went to retrieve my blanket and ended up putting a 5" tear in the corner. My broken blanket was very upsetting as I have been using it for over 8 years. I truly believe it to be a miracle blanket -- it kept me cool during hot summer nights when we were living in Santa Barbara and then warm during cold winter nights here on the East Coast. I really did not want to replace it so Alissa did a beautiful job stitching the hole with red string. I think it looks even cooler now!

Later that night, after Alissa had fixed the blanket, she was reading a book she got me for Christmas, "Embroidered Textiles," and she found a whole chapter entitled The Power of Red. Apparently red has often been used in a protective role - to protect against evil spirits and demons, to protect royalty, to protect newborn children before they were baptized, etc. Now when I go to bed at night, I feel extra safe (and incredibly comfortable) -- begone evil spirits!!. (above is an image of an antique Man's cap from Sierra Leone with red stitching).




While I was writing this post I was flipping through the book, "Embroidered Textiles," and I got inspired to share some images of our own rugs with all of you. Whenever possible, we always try to purchase antique rugs as they tend to have a beautiful worn quality to them... its like buying a t-shirt that has already been worn in exactly they way you like it. I hope you enjoy them!











P.S. If you are ever in the Santa Barbara area and want the name of a great antique rug shop, just drop us a line - info@shophorne.com

P.P.S - We have a great surprise coming up next week for everyone so check back on Tuesday Morning, Jan 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment